Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Hamels Surf and Skate Rentals, Mission Beach, CA

I went to the Belmont Park in Mission Beach to sketch and paint today. It is the home of the first and only roller coaster ride I have ever been on. It was double scary in the 70s because the wooden frame looked a little old and rickety at the time. It has since been restored and I was impressed with the look of the area. It has some neat restaurants and shops in the main entertainment area surrounded by some of the older buildings.

My drawing is of Hamel's Surf and Skate Rental. There is a Tattoo Parlor right next to it. I am lucky I got another EDM Challenge done. Number 36 is draw out in public.

14 comments:

"Joy" said...

What character!!! I love it! Joy

Gabriel Campanario said...

you got a lot of detail in, nice work

Anonymous said...

They had a wooden rollercoaster in Long Beach when I was growing up..most of it was on pilings out over the water.....it made the most incredible sound and shook and rattled the whole way...thanks for the memories!!.....deni...;)

Linda said...

GREAT drawing! What a neat place, too...

R K said...

Darn...this is nice. It's got the 'cool' factor.

MILLY said...

Thankyou for your lovely comments and I know I am going to love being part of this group. It is so inspiring to have all this wealth of art to look at.
Eileen

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

I think this is one of my favourites of yours - just great.

Bonny said...

This is a really neat drawing, Lydia. The detail is amazing!It sounds like a fun place to visit, too.

caseytoussaint said...

Wow, this is great - were you there for a long time? I'm amaze at allthe detail.

Serena Lewis said...

Fabulous drawing, Lydia! Great detail ~ :)

Lynn said...

Nicely done! I love all the little detail in the rocks and the wood.

Anonymous said...

There is so much character. Love it.

Crumpled Paperbirds said...

I want to go and steal a bike a cycle along the coast...the atmosphere of this picture is so cosy and inviting I just want to enter it:)

Lydia Velarde said...

Thanks everyone for yournice comments. Casey I tried to reply on your blog but could not. I was there about 2 1/2 hours including walking around. It was a fun day even if I was alone!