Monday, April 17, 2017

Stamping and painting


One of the things I like when I "clean" my studio is I find things that I didn't know I had or that I haven't used in a long time. Sometimes I walk into my studio and I am inspired right away and I don't clean it at all. Today I spent a lot of time sorting through papers and combining them into 2 flat boxes. When I was done I came across a large bird I had photographed at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. I wasn't sure why I saved a large 8.5 x 11 print of the bird but it looked perfect for a stamp project. I sat down and carved out a small stamp using a scrap of Speedy-carve I found.

If I were to do it again I would have picked a better piece of carving material. I don't plan things out too well, I just jump in and DO IT. This bird barely fit on the stamp material. At first I used a stamp pad to ink the stamp and later used printing ink and a brayer. The paper is quite absorbent so the image came out better using more ink with the brayer.

No comments: